In December 2017, the RUSA Financial Literacy Interest Group held an online “Financial Literacy and Libraries Showcase.” After a roundup of resources discussed throughout the year, Financial Literacy Interest Group members shared examples of their involvement in financial literacy programs, projects and research:
- Julie McDaniel, Sinclair Community College, discussed her library’s “FAFSA display cart,” which features print directories of scholarships and a variety of personal finance titles during a weekly FAFSA workshop by the Financial Aid Department.
- Lisa Liu, Saratoga Library, Santa Clara County Library District, offered examples of integrating personal finance topics into other programs such as “Steps to Re-Enter the Work Place @ Saratoga Library” and “Graywater Rebate Program.”
- Linda Koss of Toledo Lucas County Public Library shared the details of her library’s recent experience with the traveling exhibition “Thinking Money,” which focused on financial education for tweens.
- Naomi Schemm, University of Wisconsin Whitewater, discussed plans for Money Smart Week 2018, including showing the documentary Broke, Busted, & Disgusted (https://www.brokebusteddisgusted.com/screen), partnering with day care center for children and parent programming, and hold a tabling event.
- Ashley Faulkner, Princeton University, shared her financial literacy-focused research agenda and publications, which include an article in Reference & User Services Quarterly: http://dx.doi.org/10.5860/rusq.56n2.116
- Kate Moody, Ripon College, discussed her research interest in how people find trustworthy financial information and how librarians are uniquely positioned to study this topic.
To hear more about these topics, check out the recording of the discussion.
If you will be attending ALA Midwinter, please join the RUSA Financial Literacy Interest Group’s discussion, which will kick off with lightning talks from librarians engaged in financial literacy activities. The meeting will take place on Saturday, February 10, from 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM, at The Curtis, a Doubletree by Hilton, in Jax Room.
Learn more about the RUSA Financial Literacy Interest Group or contact the chair, Lauren Reiter at firstname.lastname@example.org.