Todd Hines, Manager, Research & Discovery and Business Research Librarian, Stanford University GSB Library, was selected as the 2019 winner of the BRASS Excellence in Business Librarianship Award, sponsored by Mergent, for his distinguished achievement and service in business librarianship; for his work as founder of the Journal of Business and Finance database review column; and for his recognized excellence in mentoring both new and seasoned librarians.
Todd has been a leader, a contributing committee member, and a long-time member of RUSA and BRASS. Todd’s involvements fill a page. He has held these positions:
- Chair of BRASS, 2014-2015
- Representative to the RUSA Board (2014-2016)
- Representative to the RUSA Conference Coordinating Committee (2005-2006, 2012-2013, 2015-)
- Representative to the RUSA Learning Opportunities & Knowledge Coordination Task Force (2013-2016)
- Representative to RUSA Planning & Finance Committee (2008-2011, 2013-2014)
- Representative to RUSA Professional Development (2006-2008, 2011-2012)
- Member of RUSA Conference Programming Coordinating (2007-2008)
For BRASS Todd has served as:
- Vendor Relations Chair (2017-2019)
- Chair, BRASS Nominating Committee (2016 – 2017)
- Member, BRASS Section Review (2013-2014)
- Chair, BRASS Gale Cengage Learning Student Travel Award (2012-2013)
- Member, 2013 BRASS Program Planning Committees (2011- )
- Member, BRASS Gale Cengage Learning Student Travel Award (2011-2012)
- Member, BRASS Nominating Committee (2010-2011)
- Chair, BRASS Emerald Research Award (2010-2011)
- Chair, BRASS Award for Excellence in Business Librarianship (2009-2010)
- Member, BRASS Award for Excellence in Business Librarianship (2008-2009)
- Ex Officio Member, BRASS Education Committee (2006-2008)
- Chair, 2006 Program Planning Committee (2005-2006)
- Member, 2005 & 2004 Program Planning Committees (2003-2005)
Todd has contributed much to the literature and practice of business librarianship. He founded and served as database review editor for Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship from 2006 to 2017. Todd is a Certified Public Accountant in Virginia which contributes to his expertise.
Todd’s professional contributions include occasional papers and number of articles mostly found in the Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship. Below is a list of significant publications:
Hines, Todd M. and Amia Baker, (2008) “The Career Choices of Business Librarians- A Survey and Discussion,” Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship, 13 (3), 391-404. Reprinted in Career Paths and Career Development of Business Librarian, London and New York: Routledge, 2009.
Hines, Todd M., (2005) “Economic Forecasts,” Success by the Numbers: Statistics for Business Development (RUSA Occasional Paper, Number 28), ed. Ryan Womack, Chicago, IL: American Library Association, 21-29.
Hines, Todd M., et al, (2010) “Library Outreach to the Alabama Black Belt: The Alabama Entrepreneurial Research Network,” Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship, 15 (3-4), 197-207.
Hines, Todd M. and Amia Baker, (2008) “The Career Choices of Business Librarians- A Survey and Discussion,” Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship, 13 (3), 391-404.
Hines, Todd M., (2007) “International Financial Reporting Standards: A Guide to Sources for International Accounting Standards,” Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship, 12 (3), 3-26.
Hines, Todd M. (2006), “Sources for Researching Business Bankruptcies,” Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship, 11 (3), 3-17.
Hines, Todd M., (2004), “Researching Specific Nonprofit Organizations: A Selected Bibliography,” Reference Services Review, 32 (3), 302-312.
Todd’s work encompasses a number of invited presentations in the areas of economics, finance, accounting and data:
“How to Deal With Some Commonly Encountered Financial Data Research Problems.” St. Louis Federal Reserve Conference, Beyond the Numbers. October 6, 2016. St. Louis, MO.
“Business Data for Librarians – Finance Data Sources.” ALA/RUSA/BRASS Preconference. June 24, 2016. Orlando, FL.
“Using the Economic Census.” New York City METRO Business Librarians Group. February 5, 2015, New York City, NY.
“Linking Financial Data Sets: Possible Problems and Solutions.” Co-presented with Kathleen Dreyer, Columbia University. St. Louis Federal Reserve Conference, Beyond the Numbers. September 30, 2014. St. Louis, MO.
“Mastering Business Acumen (MBA) in a Day: Business Concepts for Library Reference – Accounting.” ALA RUSA Webinar. May 1, 2014. Online.
“Latin American Finance Sources.” Panel presentation at the 2012 International Association for Social Science Information Service and Technology (IASSIST) Conference, June 7, 2012. Washington, DC.
Todd holds a B.A. in Political Science from the University of Colorado, Boulder; a MBA with an emphasis in Accounting from George Mason University; and a MSLS from Catholic University of America. Todd was admitted to honor societies in all his programs.
The Mergent by FTSE Russell Excellence in Business Librarianship Award selection committee includes: Chris LeBeau (Chair), Jared Hoppenfeld, and Diane M. Zabel.