At NoveList, we know that your staff is your library’s most valuable resource. We can help build the confidence needed to engage *all types* of readers, whether it’s at the desk, in the stacks, or through book displays, newsletters, and social media. And while this is a busy time of year between Summer Reading and reopening your doors, we know how important it is to keep these skills sharp and have put together a list of tips to help you better engage all of the readers in your community.
If you have 5 minutes
- Short on time? If you have five minutes go to NoveList Plus and check out our Recommended Reads Lists. Curated by librarians at NoveList Recommended Reads will provide you with ideas for your next book display. Recommended Reads are easy to find. Look for the column on the left, select the age group, then genre. Be sure to check out our “For Fans of” lists for recommendations to match what your patrons are binge watching (or playing) like Bridgerton and The Underground Railroad.
- Want a quick image to go with your book display? Search LibraryAware for recommended reads to find matching ready-to-go flyers to print and display or to save and share.
- Use our ready-to-go reading question templates in LibraryAware to create images to share on your social media channels. Questions like “What was the last book you recommended to a friend?” are sure to get your readers talking and boost engagement on your social channels. Search LibraryAware for reading questions and choose from one of the hundreds of images that are ready to click and share.
- Read a blog post on The Latest. Some recommended posts: Using podcasts for readers’ advisory, Be a superhero readers’ advisor, Already ready RA.
If you have 10 minutes
- Search for our Recommended Reads Lists in your Linked Library Enrichment and post in a widget to your website. Email the code to a partner organization and ask them to post the widget on their website. Why stop at one partner? Share several widgets with your local schools and ask them to share to help promote reading this summer to their students. The partnering possibilities are endless with Linked Library Enrichment.
- Search NoveList Plus for a topic that is relevant in your community. Save those titles to a folder and voila! You have a list of books for a display or flyer that are perfect for your community’s needs.
- Browse LibraryAware for the thousands of ready-to-go templates created especially for libraries. We have formats for posters, flyers, bookmarks, and social media images. Add your branding then print or share.
- Check out our tutorials on the NoveList YouTube channel. Brush up on your RA skills with our microtrainings on topics such as finding “just-right” books, how to stay in the know about books, and more.
If you have 30 minutes
- Create book bundles. Readers love being able to grab a quick bundle of books to take and go. You can find books using a combination of terms using the appeal mixer in NoveList. On the NoveList homepage look for “I’m in the mood for books that are.” We have some premade combinations ready for you or click the link for the appeal mixer and whip up your own combinations such as: strong female character and lush writing style or fast-paced and character-driven.
- Explore the Idea Center. Whether you are looking to improve your RA, promote your resources, evaluate your reader services, or get some inspiration, we have ideas to help you. Select Idea Center from the main menu on the NoveList webpage.
If you have 60 minutes
- Watch a webinar! We have dozens of webinars including our popular Crash Course genre webinars and our #NoveListConversations webinars that cover everything from promoting your library to best practices with newsletters.
Do you have *even more* time? Learn with NoveList can help you train your staff. Our experts teach courses ranging from the basics of RA to telling your library story that are customized for your library. Contact us for more information.