BRASS Excellence in Business Librarianship Award by Mergent by FTSE Russell Names Its 2022 Winner – Wendy G. Pothier, Business and Economics Librarian, Associate Professor, University of New Hampshire
Wendy’s scholarship is creative, substantive, and highly impactful. She has developed a national reputation because of her important work relating to data literacy and digital badges. Her passion for business information literacy is reflected in her award-winning research, engaging professional presentations, and distinguished service to the profession.
• Wendy is shaping professional practice by advocating for librarians to play a greater role in preparing students for the workplace. Her influential co-authored article on data literacy provides a roadmap for librarians who want to help students become more data literate.
• Wendy has made important contributions to business education. Her pioneering work on the use of digital badging in business programs supports the growing movement toward the adoption of just-in-time learning tools such as credentials and badges.
• Wendy leveraged her master’s degree in Logistics and Materials Management to design and teach a new credit course for undergraduate students at her institution. The course, “Disruption in the Supply Chain,” intentionally incorporates the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy. Wendy shared her perspectives on teaching a credit course at the 2021 BRASS Symposium. Her interest in innovative approaches to business education is also demonstrated by her recent publication of a co-authored case study on sustainability in the supply chain. One of Wendy’s nominators summed up this accomplishment nicely: “Wendy has shown that business librarians can participate in content creation and not just assist instructors in finding cases.”
• Wendy has been a mover and shaker in many organizations. This is reflected in her role as coeditor of the Academic BRASS Newsletter, convener of the ACRL Digital Badges Interest Group, and her efforts to create the Boston Library Consortium Business Community of Interest.
• Wendy has moved into increasingly responsible roles within RUSA BRASS, culminating in her candidacy for BRASS Secretary in the 2022 RUSA election.
• Wendy is sought out as a speaker. She has shared her expertise with regional, national, and international audiences. She also engages with other librarians by contributing to blogs and social media. Many librarians look to her for guidance in business librarianship.
BRASS Excellence in Business Librarianship Award selection committee was Chaired by Genifer Snipes.