Elizabeth Malafi, Editor
Message from the BRASS Chair
Congratulations to our new BRASS officers!
- BRASS Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: Natasha Arguello
- BRASS Member-at-Large: Emily Treptow
I hope everyone is looking forward to ALA Annual in Chicago! Below are some highlights of BRASS events at Annual. The full BRASS event guide will be sent out on BRASS-l and available on the BRASS website in early June.
- Emerald-sponsored pre-conference, “Research in the Real World,” Friday, 12 – 3 p.m. at Buddy Guy’s. See RSVP information posted to brass-l.
- BRASS Membership Reception, Friday, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. at Cavanaugh’s. Sponsored by Reference USA. See information posted to brass-l.
- Public Libraries Forum, “The Many Paths to Empowering Your Business Community,” Saturday, from 1 – 2:30 p.m.
- BRASS Discussion Group and New Members Discussion, Sunday, from 8:30 – 10:00 a.m. New Members from 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Publishers Forum, “The ABCs of Private Equity & Venture Capital Data and Information,” Sunday, from 1 – 2:30 p.m.
- BRASS Program. “Demystifying the Federal Reserve”, Monday from 8:30 – 10 a.m. Breakfast sponsored by S&P Global Market Intelligence 8 – 8:30 a.m.
- BRASS Dinner, Monday at 6:30 p.m. The Berghoff Restaurant, 17 West Adams, Chicago. Please RSVP to Mark Andersen (firstname.lastname@example.org). Details on brass-l.
Also, please congratulate the following BRASS Achievement Award winners! They will be recognized at the RUSA Awards Ceremony and Reception, Sunday night at Annual.
- Bradley J. Kuykendall, Global Financial Data Academic Business Librarianship Travel Award
- Raymond Pun, Emerald Research Grant Award
- Elizabeth Malafi, Mergent by FTSE Russell Excellence in Business Librarianship Award
- Erin Cavell, Morningstar Public Librarian Support Award
- Ian Richardson, SimplyMap Student Travel Award
I’m looking forward to seeing everyone at Annual!
Louise Feldmann, BRASS Chair, 2016-2017
Business Reference in Public Libraries
The BRASS Business Reference in Public Libraries committee is pleased to present this year’s forum at ALA. Titled “The Many Paths to Empowering your Business Community,” a panel of business librarians from around the country in various stages of building their business reference centers will discuss how public libraries can support their local businesses through resources, services and partnerships.
The forum takes place on Saturday, June 24th from 1:00pm to 2:30pm at the Hilton Chicago, 720 S. Michigan Avenue – Continental B room. All are welcome to attend!
Sal DiVincenzo, 2015 – 2017 Chair
The ReferenceUSA BRASS Members Reception will be held Friday, June 23, 2017, from 5:30-7:30 at Cavanaugh’s, located in the Historic Monadnock Building (53 W. Jackson Blvd.).
Sponsored by ReferenceUSA
Cynthia Slater, 2015-2017 Chair
Program Planning Committee
The BRASS 2017 Program Planning Committee is happy to report that we are on track with our program “Demystifying the Federal Reserve.” Dr. Christian Zimmermann, Assistant Vice President of the St. Louis Federal Reserve Bank, will discuss the role of the Fed in the U.S. economy as well as economic data and research produced in regional Federal Reserve Banks and the Board of Governors.
The program will take place on Monday, June 26th, at 8:30-10:00 am in McCormick Place West conference center W196c in Chicago, IL.
Come early (at 8:00 am) to enjoy the breakfast sponsored by S&P Global Market Intelligence http://marketintelligence.spglobal.com/client-solutions/users/academics . We appreciate S&P’s long-term generous support of BRASS!
Make sure to add the BRASS program to your ALA calendars: https://www.eventscribe.com//2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=260666 and share this program flyer with your colleagues: http://brass.libguides.com/ld.php?content_id=30279600.
Natasha Arguello, 2017 Chair
Vendor Relations Committee Report
Get ready for Annual 2017
BRASS is fortunate to have loyal sponsors that support the section activities and awards. Our members benefit from generous sponsorship of travel awards and recognition of librarian excellence and research. Our award sponsors are:
- Mergent for the Excellence in Business Librarianship Award
- SimplyMap for the BRASS Student Travel Award
- Emerald Group for the BRASS Research Award
- Morningstar for the Public Librarian Award
- Global Financial Data Travel Award for new academic librarians, $1250
Plans are underway for Annual 2017 sponsored events for Chicago. Be sure to look for more information on these BRASS member events:
- S&P Global Market Intelligence for the Monday BRASS Program Breakfast
- InfoGroup / ReferenceUSA for the Friday BRASS Member Reception
- Emerald Panel Presentation and Lunch Friday midday
- Mintel for coffee break during the BRASS Discussion Group and New Business Librarians Discussion Group. Visit to Mintel Offices.
- Springshare for the ongoing hosting of BRASS LibGuides.
Ann Fiegen, 2015-2017 Chair
Morningstar Librarian Support Award Committee
We had six nominations, all great examples of public business librarianship. We’ve selected and notified the winner, Erin Cavell, Small Business Librarian, Business, Science, and Government Documents, Minneapolis Central Library, Hennepin County Library.
Ed Rossman, 2016 – 2017 Chair
BRASS SimplyMap Student Travel Award
Ian Richardson, a student at Wayne State University and a staff member at University of Louisiana is the recipient of the 2017 BRASS SimplyMap Student Travel Award. We thank SimplyMap for their continuing support and look forward to welcoming Ian to the profession and BRASS.
Bobray Bordelon. 2016-2017 Chair