Jason Coleman, Editor
News from ETS
ETS’ Executive Committee consists of its elected officers. In addition, committee chairs are encouraged to attend. The executive committee holds monthly meetings online. These are currently scheduled to take place on the 4th Friday of each month (Except December 2020 which will be on the 3rd Friday) from 1:30-2:30 Central Time. Individuals who wish to attend the meetings should e-mail ETS’ Chair at JoneShan@musc.edu.
The roster of the executive committee for July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021 is:
- Shannon D. Jones (Chair, July 1, 2020, to June 30, 2021)
- Melissa L. Becher (Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, July 1, 2020, to June 30, 2021)
- Jason Matthew Coleman (Secretary, July 1, 2020, to June 30, 2021)
- Rachael Anne Cohen (Member, July 1, 2020, to June 30, 2021)
- Carmen Cole (Member, July 1, 2019, to June 30, 2021)
- Michelle Pantoja McKinney (Member, July 1, 2020, to June 30, 2021)
- Donte’ Perry (Member, July 1, 2020, to June 30, 2021)
- Christina Pryor (Member-at-Large, July 1, 2018, to July 31, 2021)
- Matt Torrence (Member-at-Large, July 1, 2020, to June 30, 2021)
- ETS’ Executive Committee and each of its separate committees are encouraged to use ALA Connect as a communication tool in lieu of listservs. This is because ALA plans to retire all its listservs in the near future.
- ETS will be relaunching an e-Newsletter (formerly Messages from MARS) to share information with members.
- Member rosters are updated at: http://www.ala.org/rusa/sections/ets/committees
- One of our priorities for this year is member engagement. We will develop plans for individuals within ETS to meet one another online and for others interested in ETS to learn about the section and its committees. One component of this plan will be a member survey to learn more about members’ interests.
- Another priority for the year is to obtain more involvement from public librarians, perhaps through collaboration with RSS
ETS Committee Reports
ETS has seven committees in addition to its Executive Committee:
Best Emerging Technology Award (BETA) Committee (Chair: Beth Caruso)
- The inaugural $3,000 BETA Award sponsored by Chatstaff and Libraryh3lp went to Corey Wetherington and Scott Wagner for their ShelfReader application. The committee is planning to develop an online webinar to recognize the winners and to provide more information about ShelfReader.
- Beth will be contacting the current committee members soon to begin planning for the next award cycle.
Hot Topics Committee (Chair: To Be Appointed)
Managing Emerging Technology Committee (Chair: Leanne Nay)
- The committee will meet soon to begin mapping out a plan for the year.
Nominating Committee (Chair: Geoff Morse)
Discovery Committee (Chair: To Be Appointed)
- The past chair (Hailley Fargo) suggests that this year’s committee review assessment information on the three webinars the committee presented in May and June of 2020 and begin to think about new programming. The webinars seemed to be successful but did take a long time to organize and secure speakers. She recommends that the committee consider collaboration with other committees within ETS, or explore sharing discovery information through other mediums, such as a podcast or online workshop
Tech Showcase Committee (Chair: To Be Appointed)
User Experience Committee (Chair: Seti Keshmiripour)
- Seti will be reaching out to members soon to start brainstorming ideas for webinars.