Jason Coleman, editor
Congratulations to ETS’s newly elected Executive Committee Members
- Vice-Chair/Chair Elect: Carmen Cole
- Member at Large: Donna Maher
- Member at Large: Chad J. Pearson
ETS Achievement Awards
- Jason Coleman was selected as the recipient of the 2021 ETS Achievement Award (see the award announcement).
- Elisandro Cabada, Brandon C. Dang, William H. Mischo, David Tamayo, and Robert Wallace were selected as the 2021 Best Emerging Technology Application (BETA) Award Winners for Project Komodo: Catalyzing Browser-Based Virtual Reality Teaching and Learning in the Library from the Grainger Engineering LIbrary Information Center at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (see the award announcement).
- The award committees plan to develop podcast episodes featuring the winners of each of these awards.
ETS events @ 2021 ALA Conference
- ETS Executive Committee Meeting
- Member Forum featuring ETS members speaking about self-care strategies they use in their practice.
- Technology Showcase. (on demand video recording)
ETS Committee Reports
Best Emerging Technology Award (BETA) Committee
The committee is extremely grateful to LibraryH3lp and Chatstaff who have agreed to double their funding ($6000 total) so we can fund two $3000 awards, instead of one. This will the committee to value multiple approaches to emerging technologies projects. Keep an eye out for more information in Fall 2021.
The committee selected the 2021 Award Winning project: Project Komodo: Catalyzing Browser-Based Virtual Reality Teaching and Learning in the Library from the Grainger Engineering LIbrary Information Center at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The Project Team was Elisandro Cabada, Brandon C. Dang, William H. Mischo, David Tamayo, Robert Wallace. The committee is planning to create a podcast episode with the award winners. (see the award announcement).
The committee will provide a free webinar with the 2020 Awardees, Corey Wetherington and Scott Wagner on May 26 from 4:00 to 5:00 pm CDT. The title of the webinar is Exploring Discovery Services. (see the event page).
Beth Caruso, Chair
Hot Topics Committee
The committee is collaborating with the Managing Emerging Technology Committee for an upcoming open discussion of emerging technologies.
Shannon Richie, Chair
Managing Emerging Technology Committee
The committee hosted a “Level Up” webinar on April 14. The three panelists did an excellent job and provided lots of ideas for folks to create more engaging online learning experiences.
The committee is working with the Hot Topics committee to host an open discussion of emerging technologies.
Leanne Nay, Chair
The committee is planning to offer a webinar in July. We have talked to Ninah Moore about deadlines for submission. Be on the look out for more information on this in the future.
Chad Pearson, Chair
Tech Showcase Committee
The committee will be presenting an on-demand video at ALA Annual’s Virtual Conference.
Geoff Morse, Chair
User Experience Committee
The committee has submitted a proposal for a webinar titled Building your UX Toolkit. The webinar is intended for new graduates and new librarians. Courtney McDonald and Kristin Meyer will be the presenters.
The ETS Tech Showcase will present a wide variety of library technologies currently in use, as well as offer the opportunity for up-close demonstrations and, for some applications, hands-on experience. These include:• 3D printing (LulzBot Minis),
- Virtual Reality (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, & Google Expeditions VR),
- Augmented Reality (local history AR exhibit, QuiverVision AR coloring sheets, HoloTats AR tattoos),
- Robotics (Lego WeDo and Mindstorms),
- Coding with Spheros & Ozobots,
- Drones (Parrot minidrones & Phantom 4),
and more. Presenters from both public and academic libraries will be featured.
Seti Keshmiripour, Chair
Joint ETS and RSS Happy Hour will take place on Saturday, June 22, 5:30-7:30, location TBA. This is a great opportunity to mingle, make new friends, and learn about the work of our sections! More details forthcoming. For advance info, reach out to Lily Todorinva (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ETS Hot Topics Presents: If We Build It, Will They Come? The Role of Technology in Library Redesign and Renovation
Join us for a dynamic discussion session on Monday June 24th @ 2:30PM.