Kerry Keegan, Editor
Letter from the Chair
Greetings, everyone! ALA Annual is just around the corner and STARS has a solid line-up of events and programs for this year’s conference:
- STARS Social, Friday, June 23 from 8:00pm to 11:00pm. The venue is still To Be Determined, but watch the STARS-L list (http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/stars-l) for an announcement, soon.
- STARS All Committee Meeting, Saturday June 24 from 8:30am to 10:00am in McCormick Place, W196b. This is an open meeting and any registered attendee is welcome to join. If you’re interested in possibly joining STARS, or simply curious and want to learn more about STARS, please feel free to join us for some lively table discussions on issues around International ILL, Legislation and Licensing, Outreach and Promotion, Education and Training, and much more!
- Interlibrary Loan Discussion Group, Saturday June 24, from 10:30am to 11:30am at McCormick Place, W187a. https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=266541
- I am not a lawyer: providing copyright services in libraries, Saturday, June 24 from 1:00pm to 2:30pm in McCormick Place, W178b. Come listen to Collette Mak and Cindy Kristof discuss ways to manage reference questions surrounding copyright …”Copyright and Intellectual Property questions come to us whether we want them to or not. We’re not lawyers but we can answer reference questions. Those reference questions go beyond copyright—permissions, public performance rights, images suitable for publication and, license terms. How do you start providing copyright services? How do you train staff to listen for questions they don’t ask? This panel has been there and done that.”
- Shared Collections Interest Group (RUSA STARS), Saturday, June 24 from 1:00pm to 2:30pm in Hilton Chicago, Buckingham Room.
- ILL Hot Topics Discussion Group, Saturday June 24 from 4:30pm to 5:30pm in Hilton Continental C.
- STARS Interlibrary Loan Committee Meeting (RUSA STARS), Sunday, June 25 from 8:30am to 11:30am, McCormick Place W475b
- STARS/RSS Policies Committee Meeting, Sunday, June 25 from 8:30am to 11:30am, McCormick Place, W471b
- STARS Board Meeting, Monday, June 26 from 8:30am to 11:30am, McCormick Place, W471b
Also, don’t forget to watch our webpage (http://www.ala.org/rusa/sections/stars/) for newly-featured STAR-gazers, 5 Things Every New Resource Sharing Librarian Should Know, and much more!
Looking forward to seeing many of you in Chicago and safe travels to all!
STARS Chair 2016-17
Head, ILL & Document Delivery Services
University of Washington Libraries, Seattle WA
Atlas Systems Mentoring Award Committee
Thanks to the generosity of Atlas Systems, a new librarian in our field can attend the American Library Association conference every summer. We support their experience by pairing them with a mentor who is familiar with the ALA Conference. To better help the committee find and match mentors with our award winner, we are seeking volunteers. The extent of the relationship you establish with the mentoring award winner is completely up to you, but we do suggest fulfilling these minimal obligations:
- Welcome the award recipient by corresponding with them a month before the annual conference.
- Be available to answer questions (best practices, getting involved in ALA, etc.).
- Provide guidance about the ALA Annual Conference, particularly about what programs to attend, moving around ALA, etc.
- Meet with the recipient during the conference and attend a few programs with them. Attending the STARS social on Friday night together is a great informal opportunity for you to introduce the recipient to other STARS members. Making connections and introductions should be done when possible throughout the conference. Attending the RUSA Awards Ceremony is also a nice opportunity to support the recipient.
- Follow up with the recipient after the conference to answer remaining questions.
If you are interested in serving as a mentor for 2017 or any future year, please fill out this brief form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeN9ky2jL6vYr7rxb_MjpTzUT-2xRqdWAdfaLTTESjtTyuvig/viewform).
Thank you so much for your consideration!
Atlas Systems Mentoring Award Committee
Amy Paulus, Chair
Legislation and Licensing Committee
The Legislation and Licensing Committee has drafted an ILL model licensing clause, based on the LibLicense model. We will be reaching out to the STARS community and other interested parties for feedback, later in 2017.
We have also been hard at work, reviewing content on ShareILL (http://shareill.org/) and making updates to information about copyright policies and best practices.
We are continuing to identify ways to monitor development in the licensing and legislation areas and methods to help keep STARS members up-to-date. We welcome suggestions and feel free to contact Cen Cheng, Chair, at email@example.com.
Cen Cheng, Chair
Rethinking Resource Sharing Policies Committee
The Rethinking Resource Sharing Policies Committee continues to promote, receive and work with libraries submitting STAR Checklists, which are being used to facilitate discussions of interlibrary loan policies within libraries, as well as highlight best practices, and recognize libraries that are doing so much to successfully share information. We are also working on rethinking the Manifesto of the Rethinking Resource Sharing Initiative, now that it has been ten years since it was created.
Beth Posner, Chair
Research and Assessment Committee
The Research and Assessment Committee reports that all assessments have been completed for STARS-sponsored sessions at ALA Midwinter 2017. These have been posted to ALA Connect, distributed to presenters and facilitators, and shared with the executive committee.
David Ketchum, Chair
Hot Topics Discussion Group
The Hot Topics Discussion Group at ALA Annual will be held on Saturday, 6/24, from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., in the Hilton Chicago’s Continental C room. We hope to have some Tipasa early adopters discuss their experiences with the new software. If you represent a library using Tipasa who will be attending ALA Annual and would like to share your experiences, please reach out to Hot Topics Vice-Chair Nora Dethloff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot Topics is also looking for an incoming Vice Chair for 2017-2018. If you’re interested in being part of this dynamic discussion group, please contact outgoing Chair Tina Baich at email@example.com.
Nora Dethloff, Chair